With the recent beautiful weather in Victoria, everyone is going outside. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet new people and practice your English!
But what do you talk about? As an ESL student, one of the first questions you will likely be asked is “Where are you from?” It’s a easy way to start a conversation, but what do you say after?
There are many different options for continuing this conversation. You could ask:
- Have you ever been to [my country]?
- Have you done a lot of traveling?
- Are you from the island? (This question is a common one. It means “Were you born on Vancouver Island?”)
- Have you been to [this event] before?
Now it’s time to say good-bye. How do you leave the conversation? You could try one or more of these phrases:
- It was nice talking to you.
- Thanks for the chat.
- I wish we could talk more, but I’ve got to go.
- I’ll hopefully see you around. (Meaning: “I hope to see you again.”)
Not sure what to do this summer? There are a lot of festivals, events, and activities that you can attend. Check out the following links for events around town: