Food and recipes
This is no doubt the best scone recipe ever. I often adapt recipes to make them better or more interesting but this recipe is already perfection. Its one of the few recipes I follow exactly!
You can add about a 1/2 cup of currents (or whatever dried fruit you like) to it. For cheese scones add 1 cup shredded cheese after butter has been cut in.
Be aware that the type of flour or butter that you use may change the recipe a bit, but that’s part of the fun. Once you get the idea of how the scone dough should feel you can add or reduce the amount of flour you use. Remember not to overwork the dough if you want to get flaky scones.
Making scones is a great way to get confidence about baking or eventually making pie crust etc. Its hard to mess up scones so just enjoy baking and coming up with new variations.
21/4 cups flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
21/2 baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg (for brushing on scone)
1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2.Using fingers cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3.Stir in dried fruit etc.
4. Add butter milk and make into ball
5.Pat out dough on lightly floured surface until about 2 cm thick.
6.Cut into pieces
7.Brush top of scones with egg (this can be skipped)
8.Bake at 425 F for 12 to 15 mins
1/2 cup butter
1/2 Parkay Margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp heavy cream
21/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup caramel bits
For icing: 1 cup icing sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon rind, lemon juice (Slowly add enough juice to icing sugar until a thick icing is made.
- Melt butter over med heat. Keep stirring until the butter has browned and has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to burn it. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat margarine, white and brown sugar together. Add cooled browned butter, mix well. Add egg and cream.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and caramel bits.
- Cool batter in fridge for 30 mins.
- Using a spoon, scoop a small amount of batter and roll into a ball about 1 inch in diameter. Roll in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Evenly space balls on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 mins at 350F
- Cool on cookie sheet before putting on cookie racks.
- Once cool, drizzle lemon icing on cookies.